Saturday, March 22, 2014

Sky Sports Vs. American Broadcasters: A Boxing Fan's Opinion

Boxing is no longer popular right?  That's what everyone will tell you.  Now I love it, but I think I know why some people aren't as enthusiastic about it.  When I watch American broadcasters cover a fight live, I almost fall asleep.  Yeah some get excited, but they also tend to play favorites and you can lose sight of what is actually going on.  Don't believe me?  Just look on the official Youtube channels of HBO, Showtime, ESPN etc..  Look for their boxing clips.  Now do the same for Sky Sports versions of those same fights if you can find them.  In some cases you may be able to see the same fight clips just with different voices commentating.  In my opinion, the Sky Sports broadcasters are way more exciting.  They are shouting the entire time and I honestly can't tell you the last time I suspected them of being bias.  They genuinely seem to be excited to watch the fight that they are at.  When one fighter's being pummeled I always hear, "Oh! This is surely going to be stopped!"  It's the little things like that, that set them apart.

American boxing broadcasters can take note and stop spouting with all the knowledge that they have in trying to predict the outcome to show that they were right about a fighter or match up.  That's what bores me to death.  Just enjoy the fight.  Maybe it's just the accents and the shouting, but it seems like they enjoy boxing more over in England.  If you have the chance watch a clip of a Sky Sports boxing match on Youtube and tell me they don't make you go on the edge of your seat and have your adrenaline rise.

No comments:

Post a Comment